Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Six More

A bomb blast in Afghanistan has killed six Canadian soldiers and an interpreter.

This brings the total to 66.

What hurts the most is that some of the causalities are as old as I am. Here I am, sitting in my house, typing on my computer, enjoying some ice cream. Meanwhile, these people are off in a foreign land and doing something that is far greater then what I will ever accomplish. Some will make it back. Some won't.

Support the soldiers, not the politicians.

The big issue surrounding the next federal election will be Afghanistan.

The Hek

3 comments:

Suburban Sheepdog said...

I read somewhere that it's not actually possible to support the troops "but not the mission." I haven't really thought it through.

For a number of reasons, I don't think we should be withdrawing in 2009. Maybe a short reprieve to Kabul, maybe... but to entirely withdraw from Afghanistan would jeopardize all that we've accomplished to this point. I read an informed report a few weeks writing that completely buidling the capacity for Afghans to sustain their own security could take up to twenty years. Development--whether it is security development, governance, or economic--takes decades. We committed to the mission when we first sent troops there. To withdraw before we finished the job would be a waste of the blood spilled and the work done thus far.

Eric Rosenhek said...

In the end, the voters will decide. The same way they decided on NAFTA in 1988.

Eric Rosenhek said...

check that...US/Canada FTA