Sunday, November 20, 2005

Just got back from CKCU's 30th Anniversary party at Barrymores and The Hek had an awesome time. I had a chance to meet and interview the original station manager, program director and funding drive/advertising coordinator. These guys had a passion and a dream and I do not think any one of them ever dreamed how successful the station has become. For example, in 1978, CKCU held its first funding drive and raised $18, 000. This year, CKCU raised close to $106, ooo.

Best of it all, they made a special program and The Hek has a little blurb about him :-)

It's a shame most people prefer commercial radio over the local campus/community stations or the CBC. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate commercial radio. A job in radio for me, is good anywhere. What I am trying to say here is that there are some real cool things on public radio. One can even argue that creativity runs rampant in public radio while its somewhat subdued in the commercial world.

I am really getting into public broadcasting. This is due to a conversation I had with someone who had worked in commercial radio. She told me left the business because she couldn't afford to eat. She also told me that the only way to get a job in commercial radio is if you get a diploma from a college program (ie: Humber, Algonquin). You can get tons of experience at a campus/community station but to commercial stations, you need to have a certain sound and you can ONLY get that from a college program. It looks like CBC radio is my best bet for getting into the business.

Rock on! You turn me on, I'm a radio.

The Hek

No comments: